Picking a keyboard

To get started, I read the wiki and got Plover installed.

I have multiple NKRO boards, but after trying the QWERTY-steno layout, I decided to go on and spend the money on a community built one. I ended up with a Splitography. The only other option was the Stenomod. I preferred the actuation of the Matias linear switches and I liked the look and key-shape of the Splitography better.

When researching my options, it actually took me quite a bit to figure out how one would buy a stenomod and what the "current" one looked like. He's actually got several options at various prices if I understand his blog correctly. He really ought to put the "current" information on what is available and how to order all in one place. I was going to get a Splitography anyway, but others might prefer the stenomod if they could get the information efficiently.

As far as the Splitography goes, the switches require very minimal pressure and almost no actuation to trigger. I'm told that actual lever machines are even more sensitive and I'm curious as to how that feels in practice.

Buying it was money well spent. I found practice *far* easier on this than on a regular keyboard.

There are a few areas where it could be improved however. The packaging needs to come with some kind of pointer to the quick start guide and video. I didn't realize it didn't come ready for Plover out of the box and had to do a google search. (The way it actually works is very intelligent. It's just not obvious.)

It's a shame that it doesn't come with rubber feet right now. Not having them to cover the bottom screws limits the surfaces you can put it on without going out and buying your own. Hopefully he'll get the quality issues resolved and can start shipping with those again. I'd also like a longer connector cable. (The keyboardio comes with 2.) The one it ships with is too long for compact use and too short for normal split keyboard separation.

Comments

  1. You're right about the stenomod blog being unclear. I'll try to get a handle on that soon. Thanks!
    Charley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction